July 15, 2012

Bright...and Shiny!

Does anybody remember that movie Bubble Boy? My family used to subscribe to The Movie Network back when I was in elementary school and it used to play every couple of days. I LOVED that movie back in the day! When I was trying to come up with a title for this post, the song that the weird cult sang popped into my head and it seemed appropriate: Bright! And SHINY!

I'm warning you now, this post is picture heavy.

When I started this manicure after chopping off my long nails, I had no idea that the 2 polishes I picked would turn out to be so special. I used Joe Fresh Starry on my accent nail, and an unnamed Sally Girl neon purple polish that's been sitting on their display at the front counter for ages now. I bought it as more of an afterthought -- neons are in, I figured that it was time to jump on the bandwagon.

The bottle appears to be a neon fuschia/purple hybrid colour and that's what I expected to see when I put it on. When I actually did, underneath the halogen bulb of my desk lamp, I saw pink. Fair enough. I layered three coats over a white base to achieve something that didn't resemble a streaky mess.




Joe Fresh Starry is a mix of chunky silver holographic pieces in a sliver base. At first glance, it would appear as though this polish would be too sheer to wear on it's own, but instead as a holographic glitter top coat. Wrong. I used three coats of Starry on my accent nail and it turned out reasonable opaque.

Holographic glitter is, by now, no stranger in the world of nail polish. What makes this polish stand out is the texture of that glitter: it appears to be irregularly shaped, like shards. What's more is that these shards reflect every colour of the rainbow in the sunlight and under indoor lights. There's even an inkling of a linear holo going on, despite the fact that this polish has scattered glitter, if that makes any sense. In some lights you can see the colours very subtly separating into lines. I tried really hard to capture it, but I don't think I did it any justice.




I definitely knew after an hour or so that Starry was a special polish, but it wasn't until I switched from the halogen bulb of my desk lamp to the fluorescent lighting in my bathroom that I noticed something special about the tiny little Sally Girl polish: it was actually purple...?

For a few days I was pretty confused about which colour it actually was because I would take a picture of it in one lighting and decide that the picture showed the true colour of the polish, only to take another picture in another lighting and decide that that picture was also colour accurate. What the heck? If you don't believe me, take a look at these:




Sally Girl neon purple is a chameleon! Just look at the top picture...the pinky is a different colour in the same picture, just because it was turned at a different angle! Crazy. In the sunlight I would have said the colour is closest to the top picture, but as I'm writing now under some indoor lighting, the colour is closest to the second picture, if not a bit redder.


Needless to say, I'm an obsessed woman. I can't get over how amazing these colours are! Sally Girl polishes retail for about a dollar for each mini bottle (see above), Joe Fresh polishes run at $4.00 a bottle, or $10.00 for three at Joe Fresh boutiques or at your local Loblaws grocery store.

And for you Bubble Boy fans...

No comments:

Post a Comment