May 24, 2012

Just Peachy

This post begins with a story...as many of my posts do.

Way back when my nail polish obsession was growing into its current full blown addiction, I took my first big shopping trip down to Buffalo. It was one of the first summers where the mighty loonie was slightly larger than the American dollar and we were going to take full advantage of it, goddammit! My excitement stemmed primarily from being able to get my hands on nail polish brands that, to my knowledge at the time, were not readily available in Canada. I dreamt of finding Hidden Treasure, bucketloads of Nubar, and Orly Mint Mojito. I now know that this expectation was highly unrealistic.

I passed over Color Club Revvvolution (mistake, since it is now a huge lemming of mine), and spent most of my time fawning over Orly polishes, since I was still unaware of the Sally Beauty Supply that was situated a 10 minute walk away from my home. I walked away with a couple of China Glazes, finally, one of which I was convinced was Peachy Keen. It wasn't until we were on the ride back across the border that I realized what I had picked up was not Peachy Keen...just another (not peach) orange that had been sitting in Peachy Keen's place. Brain fart on account of nail polish excitement overload.

Fast forward about 2 years. On a walk through Wal-Mart in search of outdoor decorations for a barbecue, I pass by a display of these new Sally Hansen Smooth and Perfect polishes, on sale. Sale and Nail Polish: two things I can't turn away from. I picked up Air and Sorbet. Air was something I grabbed instantly, but Sorbet must have been picked up and put down about three times. I had spent the last 2 years convincing myself that anything resembling peach or Peachy Keen would not look good on me.



I know it's nowhere near as orange as Peachy Keen, but I enjoyed it all the same. I wore it for about 3 days, until its nearness to my own skin tone made me reconsider. I spent most of elementary school referring to the peach pencil crayon as "skin colour", only deciding near the end that I was nowhere near peachy in skin tone, being of Filipino descent...until now.

I applied 3 coats of this polish, and even after those 3 relatively thick coats, there were still bald spots on my nails. You can't see them here, but they were there alright. Also, I don't know if it was just the way I applied it, but there were so many air bubbles, even though I didn't shake the bottle prior to application. Could it be what makes this polish more "breathable" as Sally Hansen claims it to be? I don't really see the point, though, since most people either put on a base or top coat, so there's that extra layer there that might not be as breathable, defeating the purpose.

This was also the first time I tried Nubar Diamont top coat. It came in a set with my polka dots polishes, so I thought I would give it a try this time. I was quite impressed by the glassy shine it gave my manicure, much like Seche Vite. There is still a not-so-pleasant smell, but it is much less than that of Seche Vite, for sure. I've been reading on other blogs that there was a formula change for Diamont, but I can't tell if this is the good or the bad version. It dried to the touch very quickly, but the first time I put it on, my manicure dented after I went to eat lunch about 20 minutes after, which didn't happen when I used Seche, so...? Either way, I'm still impressed with Diamont and will probably end up using it from time to time in addition to my current favourite, Revlon Quick Dry.

The weather in Toronto has been amazing for the last week or so, and I'm really hoping it will hold out until the weekend so I can enjoy some more of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment