August 21, 2012

Green Velvet

On the list of nail art trends that I've wanted to try but haven't due to lack of time (as well as fear of judgement from my friends) is the so-called "Velvet" manicure, or whatever it is Ciate is trying to market at 1000% markup.

It started when I saw a blog post on using flocking powder from the scrapbook aisle at the craft store. I was really into scrapbooking the summer after I graduated high school, and I can tell you that flocking powder had me completely stumped. Still am.

In fact, although I wanted so badly to try it out, the reason behind this becoming a trend mystifies me. Was it just curiosity about what crazy thing we could stick onto our nails next? Or maybe it was a muppet fetish?





I was thinking myself that these nails channeled a bit of everyone's favourite talking frog.


I used 2 coats of Essie Navigate Her and some lime green flocking powder that I got on sale in a card-making kit with a bunch of other glitters. It was a much less messy effort in comparison to the microbead manicure. This time I was smart enough to use a plate to catch the excess powder after I shook it onto and pressed it into my nails. Also, fluff balls are not round and do not roll!

This manicure was an adventure in texture, which I loved. I could not stop feeling my nails or brushing them against my cheek. Amazing. But, of course, it had no staying power. Little bits of flocking powder would fall off periodically and I can only imagine that a whole day's worth of hand washing would wreak all sorts of havoc on this. It also reminded me of a tennis ball, which I did try to replicate on the nail (e.g. white lines), but I failed terribly and pictures do not even exist of this fail.

This was definitely a fun manicure to try out, but don't expect it to last too long. It would probably last a day, more if you don't eat or bathe or live...I'm not one to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment