February 24, 2012

Flashback: Half-Moons and Moonshine

I've decided that in between current nail art/swatching, I will try and post some past stuff of mine as well that is already floating around on facebook in picture-only form. I would like to liken (does that make sense?) this to that show Behind the Music, except this is more like BEHIND THE MANI...

Yes. I know I'm pretty lame.

So, anwyay....


First off, let me make it clear that I am not usually a fan of black nail polish. It looks nice, I agree, but it's just so...dark. I did this mani for our lovely 20's themed semi-formal, and I did my research!


Apparently it was all the rage during the late 1920s and during the 1930s to file your nails real round and then do half-moons. I was originally going to do it up like the picture, with clear moons, red on the middle, and pearly white tips, but I tried it out on a nail wheel and it looked positively bizarre. Plus it didn't go with my champagne-and-black dress, so I formulated a new plan. What you see above is one coat of Revlon Crème Brulée with 2 coats of Wet 'n' Wild Black Creme on top. The black was a total last minute thing -- I thought it turned out pretty chic, don't you?

The half moons, of course, were painted with the aid of trusty hole punch reinforcements. I actually went the extra step and painted in the edges of the circle near he cuticles where the reinforcement didn't make a tight seal with the nail. The thing I remember most about doing this mani was filing my squared nails into a rounded shape. There was like, a mountain of "nail dust" on my desk when I was finished.

I also distinctly remember the night that followed:


I think this is a pretty unattractive picture of me, but it shows off my nails quite well, no? Oh okay. Maybe it calls attention to the unpreparedness of the photo's subjects. But I think it's a beauty nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment