April 26, 2012

Putting on the Glitz

Wow! The new blogger sure is...different. Good different, but different.
Anyway, I come here to you on the eve of my last final, to bring you the last mani of school-time procrastination. I'll be off to New York tomorrow night (tonight, actually!), so I decided to turn up the glam factor. This is one of the new Sally Hansen Gem Crush polishes, Glitz Gal.

 Glitz Gal is a ton of dark gray glitter in a charcoal base with bits of large and small holographic glitter. The saga of how I came to own this polish is a frustrating one, to say the least. I had agonized for quite awhile over whether or not I wanted to get China Glaze's Some Like it Haute. I eyed it at my local Sally's for weeks, even picking it up to buy it only to decide at the last second that I did not want it. The week after, it was gone.
Of course, we all want what we can't have. I ached for that polish. I looked it up on Nail Polish Canada and saw that it was going for much more than I was willing to pay. I put it out of my mind. That is, until Sally Hansen released the Gem Crush line, shameless dupes of the Eye Candy collection.


It's super gritty in these pictures, but you'll have to excuse me -- my exam is at 9AM tomorrow and there really isn't any time to be adding any more top coat.


It's such a beauty. The only complaint I really have about it was that the brush was terrible. I usually have no complaints over Sally Hansen brushes, and I'm even completely in love with the Complete Salon brushes. But this brush was  unacceptable -- way too wide and chunky and oddly shaped. I got way too much polish on my skin, and the brush was almost too wide for the opening of the bottle, scraping precious glitter back into the bottle instead of having it on the brush to go on your nail. I recently purchased another Gem Crush and I'm really hoping that the brush on that one is not a dud.

Now for the frustration part of this saga:

After finally deciding that I wanted to buy Glitz Gal, I rushed over to Wal Mart and picked myself up a bottle for $6.99. A week later, something compelled me to go to Winners. Lo and behold, what did I find? Some Like it Haute, with its silver LE cap, staring at me from an entire row of Eye Candy polishes. The worst part? It was priced at $5.99, and looking back, it probably had a much better brush than Glitz Gal. RAGE!

In any case, I'm pleased with the colour and opacity of this polish. Makes it much easier to live with this frustration. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment